I’ve had many days that I’ve sat in a room staring at a wall wondering, “what should I do?” I could have watched TV, went shopping, piddled around on the internet and social media, blah, blah, blah. But I couldn’t push myself to do any of those things. Why? Because none of them really had any depth or meaning, and I was tired of sitting around doing a whole bunch of nothing. So what did I do? Well I googled “meaningful things to do” first, but I didn’t find anything that really gave me the answer I was seeking, so then I sat around and did a whole bunch of more nothing. Since then I’ve thought about and explored this a lot more, and thought I would share what I’ve found with you in case you have ever struggled with the same, and become increasingly frustrated by google’s lack of answers.
People say every day is a gift, but how exactly do you enjoy that gift on a daily basis and not waste it? It’s so easy to go through each day with a glaze over our eyes, and just do things to pass the time and never really pay attention. How exactly does one go about seizing the day? We sometimes think that meaningful moments are reserved for the weekends and just try to get through the errand filled weekdays as quickly as possible. What a waste! Splash coffee in your face instead of drinking it if you have to (actually please don’t do that), but wake up! Don’t just get by, but choose to make something of every day. Ok, nice thought, but how exactly do you do that? Well I’m glad you asked, it’s really quite simple. Technically I asked, but shhh…
Talk to People
Talk to the people you love every day. Don’t just talk to them while looking over your computer screens or in passing, but serious no distractions actual talking.Think of the people who are gone that you would cherish another conversation with. Always take the opportunity to talk to the ones you love every day.
- Tell them what they mean to you.
- Show them your appreciation for all the things they do.
- Talk about the good and funny things that happened that day. I’m not saying don’t vent, but make sure you focus on the good things as well.
- Talk about the deeper things in life, and all the mysterious questions that plague you.
Spend moments with your loved ones
Everything we do in our daily lives seems so singular to me. We need more together activities. Things that allow us to interact with each other. The biggest thing people do together nowadays is watch movies or television shows, where somebody else is talking the whole time! My husband might dispute that statement, because I can’t usually keep my mouth shut during a show or movie, but that’s beside the point. Here are just a few ideas for little moments you can take with your people:
- Reading stories together at night as a family (preferably by a roaring fire with hot cocoa in hand, but not necessary).
- Going for walks in a pretty place.
- Hugs. They’re the best.
- Fireside chats and deep discussions.
- Game nights.
- Meals with family and friends.
- Nightly stargazing on the back porch.
- Cooking meals together.
- Teaching something.
One thing that really makes me feel like I’m not wasting my day is when I’m being productive and contributing something to the world and other people, even if it’s only benefiting one other person. The most obvious way to contribute to society is through some sort of job, but there are plenty of other ways.
- Use your talents (speaking, planning, making people laugh, making pancakes, etc).
- Genuinely compliment someone.
- Smile. It makes people feel good.
- Cook for people.
- Raise and teach children.
- Help other humans in need.
- Weave random acts of kindness throughout your day.
- Comfort someone.
- Enjoy someone else’s contribution! People contribute for the enjoyment of other people, so it’s good to be the other people sometimes too. I didn’t write this for no one after all.
Connect with your purpose
The final and most important meaningful thing you can do everyday is to connect with your purpose, the reason you are on this earth and breathing its air. If you have no idea what your true purpose is, you can read my post “What is Your Purpose in Life?” to explore what that may be. I believe we were put here by a Creator, and the only way to truly understand the purpose of that is by studying the Word He gave us. If you have heard and believe Christ’s teachings, then the first thing you should do in order to start connecting with your purpose is obey the gospel (if you have any questions about that you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org). Once you have done that, here are ways you can connect with your purpose on a daily basis:
- Study the truth
- Prayer and supplication
- Serve others with a spirit of love
- Discuss God with other people
If you do those four meaningful things, your day will never be wasted. We complicate life and make it seem like the only way for it to have any real meaning is by going on amazing trips and accomplishing grand things, when all we need to do is simplify it and break it down in order to find what truly adds meaning to our life. People and God. That about sums it up.