I love watching scary movies no matter how much they creep me out. It brings back fond memories from my childhood watching them with my dad or searching through his old VHS tapes to watch them. In honor of my dad and my love for horror flicks I’ve listed six scary movie marathon ideas for you to choose from on Halloween night as you pass out candy to the wee ones. Some of these movies I would recommend you watch the TV versions of, or utilize the fast forward function on. I have flagged them below for your convenience (are boobs and sex supposed to make horror movies scarier or something?).
THE CLASSIC MONSTER MOVIE MASH
This consists of all your classic movie monsters, as well as a couple of extras. These are horror films roots people!
- Nosferatu (1922) (This is a silent film based off the novel, Dracula)
- Dracula (1931)
- The Wolf Man (1941)
- Frankenstein (1931)
- Creature From the Black Lagoon (1954)
- The Mummy (1932)
- White Zombie (1932) (One of the first ever zombie movies!)
THE MUST SEE HORROR FILMFEST
These are your classic can’t miss horror films. We’ve got some zombies, some slashers, some creepy guy a little too obsessed with his mommy, and some guy with an axe.
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
- Psycho (1960)
- Night of The Living Dead (1968)
- Rosemary’s Baby (1968) (TV version or fast forward)
- The Shining (1980) (TV version or fast forward)
- Halloween (1978) (TV version or fast forward)
- Dawn of the Dead (1978)
THE 80S FANTASTICLLY FRIGHTFUL FLICKS
The 80s! One of my favorite decades for horror films. This list is filled with vampires, a disfigured slasher who preys on teens in their dreams, zombies and zombie cats, and a gang of kids who take down some classic monsters.
- Fright Night (1985) (Fast forward) One of my all time favorites!
- A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) (Fast forward ) My absolute favorite! R.I.P. Wes Craven.
- Friday the 13th (1980) (TV version or fast forward)
- Night of the Comet (1984)
- Pet Sematary (1989)
- The Lost Boys (1987)
- Monster Squad (1987)
THE WEIRD & QUIRKY CREEPSHOW
I heart the weird and quirky (unless it’s the movie Eraserhead). This list includes murdering puppets, killer space alien clowns (love!), a hotel owner with a garden of victims, and a creepy leprechaun.
- The Puppet Master (1994) (TV version)
- Creepshow (1982)
- Killer Klowns From Outer Space (1988)
- Motel Hell (1980) (TV version)
- Leprechaun (1993)
- House (1986)
- The Frighteners (1996)
THE (MOSTLY) CURRENT & CREEPY
A lot of my favorites are older movies, but there are some newer ones that seriously freak me out. Here is a list of super creepy ones to give you some nightmares, or no nightmares because you won’t be able to sleep.
- 28 Weeks Later (2007) (TV version or fast forward)
- Insidious (2010)
- The Descent (2005)
- Paranormal Activity (2007)
- Mama (2013)
- The Blair Witch Project (1999)
- The Taking of Deborah Logan (2014) (Fast forward)
THE KID FRIENDLY SPOOKTACULAR
These are some great Halloween films if you have kids (or you are a kid at heart). They aren’t too scary, but I don’t have kids, so that’s really for you to decide.
- Gremlins (1984)
- Hocus Pocus (1993)
- Casper (1995)
- Monster House (2006)
- Watcher in the Woods (1980)
- Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983)
- Coraline (2009)
Happy Halloween everyone!